Mexican Campaign (Vera Cruz) - U.S. Navy
- Rank: Lieutenant Commander (Highest Rank: Captain)
- Conflict/Era: Mexican Campaign (Vera Cruz)
- Military Service Branch: U.S. Navy
- Medal of Honor Action Date: April 21, 1914
- Medal of Honor Action Place: Vera Cruz, Mexico
For distinguished conduct in battle, engagements of Vera Cruz, 21-22 April 1914. In command of the 1st Seaman Regiment, Lt. Comdr. Buchanan was in both days' fighting and almost continually under fire from soon after landing, about noon of the 21st, until we were in possession of the city, about noon of the 22d. His duties required him to be at points of great danger in directing his officers and men, and he exhibited conspicuous courage, coolness, and skill in his conduct of the fighting. Upon his courage and skill depended, in great measure, success or failure. His responsibilities were great, and he met them in a manner worthy of commendation.