U.S. Civil War - U.S. Navy
- Rank: Chief Quartermaster (Highest Rank: Ensign, Ret.)
- Conflict/Era: U.S. Civil War
- Military Service Branch: U.S. Navy
- Medal of Honor Action Date: August 5, 1864
- Medal of Honor Action Place: Mobile Bay; Forts Jackson & St. Philip; New Orleans; & below Vicksburg, Alabama; Louisiana; & Mississippi, USA
On board the U.S.S. Richmond in action at Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Cool and vigilant at his station throughout the prolonged action, Cronin watched for signals and skillfully steered the ship as she trained her guns on Fort Morgan and on other ships of the Confederacy despite extremely heavy return fire. He participated in the actions at Forts Jackson and St. Philip, with the Chalmette batteries, at the surrender of New Orleans, and in the attacks on batteries below Vicksburg.