Congressional Medal of Honor Society
Stories of Sacrifice
U.S. Civil War - U.S. Navy
Edward S Martin
- Also Known As: Jones, Edwin S.
- Rank: Quartermaster
- Conflict/Era: U.S. Civil War
- Military Service Branch: U.S. Navy
- Medal of Honor Action Date: August 5, 1864
- Medal of Honor Action Place: Mobile Bay, Alabama, USA
On board the U.S.S. Galena during the attack on enemy forts at Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Securely lashed to the side of the Oneida, which had suffered the loss of her steering apparatus and an explosion of her boiler from enemy fire, the Galena aided the stricken vessel past the enemy forts to safety. Despite heavy damage to his ship from raking enemy fire, Martin performed his duties with skill and courage throughout the action.
- Accredited to: Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania
- Awarded Posthumously: No
- Born: 1840, Ireland
- Died: December 23, 1901, Brooklyn, NY, United States
- Buried: Cypress Hills National Cemetery (MH) (2-5766), Brooklyn, NY, United States