Congressional Medal of Honor Society
Stories of Sacrifice
U.S. Civil War - U.S. Army
George L. Gillespie Jr.
- Rank: First Lieutenant (Highest Rank: Major General)
- Conflict/Era: U.S. Civil War
- Military Service Branch: U.S. Army
- Medal of Honor Action Date: May 31, 1864
- Medal of Honor Action Place: near Bethesda Church, Virginia, USA
CitationExposed himself to great danger by voluntarily making his way through the enemy's lines to communicate with Gen. Sheridan. While rendering this service he was captured, but escaped; again came in contact with the enemy, was again ordered to surrender, but escaped by dashing away under fire.
- Accredited to: Chattanooga, Hamilton County, Tennessee
- Awarded Posthumously: No
- Presentation Date & Details: October 27, 1897
- Born: October 7, 1841, Kingston, Roane County, TN, United States
- Died: September 27, 1913, Saratoga, NY, United States
- Buried: U.S. Military Academy Cemetery (S-37), West Point, NY, United States