Congressional Medal of Honor Society
Stories of Sacrifice
U.S. Civil War - U.S. Navy
William A Stanley
- Also Known As: Stanley, William E.
- Rank: Shell Man
- Conflict/Era: U.S. Civil War
- Military Service Branch: U.S. Navy
- Medal of Honor Action Date: August 5, 1864
- Medal of Honor Action Place: Fort Morgan, Mobile Bay, Alabama, USA
Shell man on No. 8 on board the U.S.S. Hartford during successful actions against Fort Morgan, rebel gunboats, and the ram Tennessee in Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Although severely wounded when his ship sustained numerous hits under the enemy's terrific shellfire, Stanley continued to pass shell until forced by the loss of blood to go below.
- Accredited to: Massachusetts
- Awarded Posthumously: No
- Born: 1831, MA, United States